Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Option to disable DHT

Posted by Entropy 
Option to disable DHT
August 30, 2010 11:39PM
Is DHT enabled by default in Jucy? Our community has a critical need for a client with a setting to disable it.

Assuming DHT is enabled by default in Jucy, would it be possible to include an option to disable DHT in the next release?

Thank you for all the of terrific work on Jucy!
btx
Re: Option to disable DHT
August 31, 2010 12:09AM
What client doesn't let you disable DHT? At least with NMDC:

- StrongDC++ has this on by default, but a) hubs can detect this and warn/ban users based on the $Supports (DHT is the feature name) and b) You can turn off the feature in the settings ... IIRC it was the last setting under Advanced

- ApexDC++ supports DHT but it's off by default

- As for Jucy - does it actually support DHT? If it does, I've never seen any evidence of it (doesn't identify itself as supporting DHT, and I've never seen a download from a DHT source like DHT enabled clients show).

btx
August 31, 2010 06:12PM
There is no DHT in Jucy ... DHT != DC a
DHT = Datastructure implemented by a peer-to-peer network
in this case StrongDC++ impelments additional to DC a Kademlia variation (at least its something Plaxton routing based)
and with this has some DHT structure.
And StrongDC++ passes that DHT on to all clients that are based on it.. Apex being just one of them.

Jucy is DC only ... nothing more...
If Jucy gets an additional P2P network impelmented you will know it!
Also it will be optional e.g. an enhancing plugin maybe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom is a new religion, the religion of our time.
- Heinrich Heine
August 31, 2010 10:15PM
hi guys, just a detail, apex has dht on by default with option to turn off
September 01, 2010 06:22AM
Uhlik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi guys, just a detail, apex has dht on by default
> with option to turn off

Exact! thumbs up
September 01, 2010 07:50PM
I recently even though about implementing another P2P network with a DHT structure.

Though due to the attacks of MediaSentry and alike companies on StrongDC++ DHT / and for keeping the client Direct Connect... I thought about using this not for filesharing but only for additional services...

Like a distributed hublist or for instant messageing with people not in your hub or any other additional features DC can't support/need global team work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom is a new religion, the religion of our time.
- Heinrich Heine
btx
September 02, 2010 01:35AM
Hmmm, thank you for correcting me - I need to look into this again, as I ran tests with StrongDC and Apex (the two most popular clients) back when the feature was added into the client. I remember the initial announcement stated they were going to have it on by default, but if you're right, they changed their mind.

I don't want to sound like I'm opposed to DHT - there's obviously good and bad aspects of this functionality, but from what I've observed, the clients all permit deactivating the functionality, and provide the hub with the means to handle DHT-enabled clients however they want. At least that's what it SEEMED like to me, but I have been more interested in providing DHT-enabled clients with information rather than blocking them, so perhaps my investigations haven't been careful enough.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

btx
July 09, 2011 07:54PM
Bit late to the subject but DHT is bad for DC. With DHT enabled users can bypass the hub rules relating to registration. With DHT enabled hubs and clients you don't need to register. At least that was the case in the Verli hubs I tested it in. Glad to see it's not a part of Jucy smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login