Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

mac os x client can't add files to download queue

Posted by ace.neerav 
mac os x client can't add files to download queue
April 28, 2011 06:24PM
First of all, AWESOME WORK! i find this client easier to use than shakespeer.

now, there is a bug or maybe i've done something wrong. i can connect to the hub but i get this messages on launch…

WARN ConnectionHandler.java Line:434 error in serversock java.net.SocketException: Permission denied

also, when i try to get file list of a user or add a file from search windows to download queue by either double clicking or by right click and then selecting, nothing happens! simply put, download is not working. please help me out.

Neerav
Re: mac os x client can't add files to download queue
April 28, 2011 06:40PM
It seems like MacOSX forbids Jucy to open a socket.

Possible reason for this is if the tcp port is set lower than 1024 unix based systems will require root rights.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom is a new religion, the religion of our time.
- Heinrich Heine
April 28, 2011 07:36PM
you are right. the port required by my hub is 1000 on tcp and 2000 on udp and it does say the udp one has opened fine. how do i deal with this problem.

i'm on a wifi network which is set to forward port 1000tcp and 2000 udp to the same on my mac. can i change the mac side to higher than 1024 tcp and let the inbound port remain 1000 on my router? will that work?
April 28, 2011 07:55PM
ok now what i did was opened inbound port 1000 on my router and directed it to port 1025 on my mac. now jucy is connecting to port 1025. no errors. now i can get downloads to the list but they dont seem to commence even though users have free slows with high speeds!
April 28, 2011 10:21PM
You get downloads with bad speeds?
Or you get downloads that have no speed at all?

- Heinrich Heine
April 29, 2011 06:03AM
no speed at all… i can can upload my shared files, but can't download from others...
April 29, 2011 08:57AM
Do you have some firewall enabled or anything?

You could try installing the connection debugger plugin (Help -> Find Extensions)
With this you can check whats happening on the line.
(After installing: Select a user and click Connection Debugger, then try to download from this user).

- Heinrich Heine
April 29, 2011 10:42AM
hello,

i fgured it out... or so i guess.... ports 1000 is available for user on windows but not on a mac. however, i can't just use any random port. from a wiki article i found out free ports. i would be trying one of the free tcp ports on the mac, when i boot into my mac, and see if it works. port 2000 udp is already free and thus was able to connect. firewall in the router and in windows is already off and its working fine on port 1000 at the moment.

will post soon. am downloading right now.
Neerav
April 29, 2011 12:49PM
You can use any port lager than 1024 ... it doesn't matter.

The ports lower than 1024 are dedicated ports. Like 80 is used for http.
This doesn't mean you can't use them. But unix based OS don't allow software to open such ports without root rights/ or special privileges.

I am also wondering why your hub requires you to use such a port... its kind of a strange rule. Are you in some university network?

- Heinrich Heine
April 29, 2011 03:29PM
not in a univ. network. it's my ISP's direct connect network set up in my city Mumbai.

also, can which OS is running on a wifi client affect, in any manner, which ports can me opened on the WAN side on the serving router? i just used the hub from windows partition for like 7 hours and it worked fine. now, when i booted into os x, i configures the router to forward port 1000 tcp to 1999tcp and 2000udp to 2000udp. it opened the ports fine. however, i still cannot download.

i tried checking if the 1000 and 2000 are opened on the wan side by my router using this website… Open Port Check Tool and it says udp 2000 is closed !?

weird.
April 29, 2011 03:30PM
sorry… it just says 2000 is closed. not whether tcp or udp.
April 30, 2011 09:38AM
Interesting setup.

Your OS can not affect what ports your router can pass through. So the translation to the higher port was a good idea that should have worked. As it apparently did not there are some more things to check.

Does Jucy client on your mac partition have the correct settings for the port set?
The different OS affect where Jucy stores its settings. So this could be a problem.

- Heinrich Heine
April 30, 2011 10:11AM
hi, i have made the setting os 1999tcp and 2000udp. it didn;t work. interestingly, passive mode worked once and then upon relaunch it stopped. now i'm trying my luck on shakespeer. it doesn't have a separate tcp and udp port field. so i've forwards both tco 1000 and udp 2000 to 1999tcp & 1999 udp. i'm able to connect to the hub and people are able to download from me on the hub but i'm not able to download or search from he hub. can't event get file list.

is there anyway i can check if my router has opened port 2000udp or not. i'm pretty sure it has opened port 1000 tcp for incoming connections.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login