Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using ADCS with Certificates

Posted by violetstreak 
Using ADCS with Certificates
January 31, 2011 12:05PM
Hi all,

I'm using ADCS with DSHub software and want to use certificates to verify users. Does jucy support this?

Thanks.
Re: Using ADCS with Certificates
January 31, 2011 06:45PM
Jucy yes.. DShub no.

But you should be more precise with what you want to achieve and how you want to do it, then I can provide a more detailed answer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom is a new religion, the religion of our time.
- Heinrich Heine
February 02, 2011 12:41PM
Thanks for getting back smiling smiley

Well I'm thinking of trying uhub which should support certificates. My aim was to verify users on presentation of a private key (using SSL).
February 02, 2011 01:44PM
What do you want to verify?

Naturally DCClients use self signed certs ... and naturally this is validated by any ADCS hubsoft.
Though TLS allows for more verification like certs do not have to be self signed.

What do you mean with verifying a user on presenting a private key?
Like checking if the same nick connected the last time with the same certificate? or Like not requesting password if the certificate is the same as last time for the username?

- Heinrich Heine
February 02, 2011 02:43PM
I realise I had not understood the functionality of ADCS. I though you could assign private keys - similar to SSH keys - to each user to identify them. That was all. I was simply confused :s

I got the idea from DSHub. In the ADC Secure tab, there is an "Optional Step 3" which has a tick box to "Use certificates for login instead of literal passwords (improved security)". What would this mean in fact?

One more question, would you recommend using DShub or uhub with jucy?

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 02:46PM by violetstreak.
February 02, 2011 05:55PM
Ah ok.. DSHub I assume will use the hash of the certificate to authenticate users / replace passwords with certs.

I am not sure about what hubsoft to use. I have been searching for what hubsoft would suite me most.

DShub for being easy to use would definately be a choice, but as its discontinued I would not start with it.
uHub also seems to lack development at least latest version is more than 6 Months old which is quite a lot for a hubsoft in alpha state.
If I was forced to use a ADC hubsoft currently I would probably first try ADCH++ (optinally with GUI) as it seems to be under active development.

But I am not really that happy with any choice. I am also planning for migrating my hub from NMDC to ADC, but as it doesn't need to be done now I settled for trying to code my own. This is one reason why there weren't any Jucy updates in the last months. To much time went there instead of into the client.

So currently my choice would be neither of the two or if it needs to be now then to go for ADCH++.

- Heinrich Heine
February 02, 2011 08:04PM
You've been incredibly helpful Quicksilver - thank you.

ADCH++ can be compiled for Linux, but for OSX? Will Unix based systems be similar? (I'm speaking as someone who is new to compiling....)
February 03, 2011 12:33AM
best ask this some ADCH++ people.

- Heinrich Heine
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login