Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

jucy shares hidden icon files - osx

Posted by mrmac 
jucy shares hidden icon files - osx
March 31, 2010 04:17AM
i thought id repost this since the crash and update.

in osx jucy shares a file called "icon" even though it is hidden and share hidden files is off.
Re: jucy shares hidden icon files - osx
March 31, 2010 01:10PM
jucy asks the OS if the file is hidden...
if the OS doesn't tell so ... jucy will share it...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom is a new religion, the religion of our time.
- Heinrich Heine
April 02, 2010 04:02AM
Quicksilver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jucy asks the OS if the file is hidden...
> if the OS doesn't tell so ... jucy will share
> it...

fair enough but i think it should be in the exclusions list just as .dsstore is. so how do i add it to the list?

ive got some info on the file:
"Your Mac creates one of these files every time you give a folder a custom icon and stores the file in that folder. If you have trouble trying to change a folder's icon, just delete its icon file."

if i view it in terminal its called "icon?" but in jucy it comes up as icon
April 02, 2010 11:09AM
.DSstore is actually there because of other OS often get those files accidentially from Mac users... and on other OS they might be not hidden...

.DSstore itself should be hidden as the "." before the file is the usual unix hidden symbolism...

- Heinrich Heine
April 05, 2010 05:16PM
Quicksilver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .DSstore is actually there because of other OS
> often get those files accidentially from Mac
> users... and on other OS they might be not
> hidden...
>

i know but thats the same as with these icon files. they are hidden in finder but then when i look at my shared files in jucy i can see this file.

i do not want to share these files just like i do not want to share .dsstore files. they are both system files.

it looks like this in jucy:

and like this in terminal (if i use "sudo ls" otherwise its hidden):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2010 05:17PM by mrmac.
April 15, 2010 06:46AM
so is there no way i can get these icon files to stop being shared by jucy?
April 15, 2010 10:44AM
I will add them to the default excluded files list for next version...

though if you want you can add them by yourself there... pref -> advanced

just replace the current regexp with:

\\.antifrag$|^__INCOMPLETE___|^download[0-9]{16,18}\\.dat$|^INCOMPLETE~|\\.dctmp$|part\\.met|\\.bc!$|\\.!ut$|\\.bt!$|^.DS_Store$|^icon\\?$|\\.mp3\\.exe$|\\.avi\\.exe$

- Heinrich Heine
April 15, 2010 11:03AM
i tried pasting it in but it didn't work... i think ill just wait 'till the next version smiling smiley
July 19, 2010 09:32AM
ive just tried v0.84 and it's still sharing the hidden icon files even though they should be filtered out according to the exclusion list.
btx
August 02, 2010 10:34AM
The regexp given looks for a file named exactly "icon?" That sounds like a resource fork name. Perhaps try adding a question mark after the question mark, so it's like:

^icon\\??$

which would make the question mark optional (ie: match "icon" and "icon?"winking smiley. Sounds like a resource fork file on a filesystem that doens't natively support them <shrug>

Perhaps it'd show up in the Terminal if you did an ls -a

Good luck,
btx
August 02, 2010 06:05PM
I dislike the idea of excluding files by good luck

It seemed to me when adding this that "icon?" was a special name of MacOsX for this icon file the finder/explorer shows but that shouldn't be visible to any normal app ...

If "icon?" is not the real filename but just some mysterious name the finder shows then I will rather remove the regexp for it totally... removing any file called just "icon" is certainly not an option..

- Heinrich Heine
btx
August 07, 2010 09:20AM
Oh I thought we were talking about MrMac's personal configuration, not Jucy's defaults.

I suspect this is a Resource Fork issue, a leftover from the days of MacOS, where files had necessary metadata on its filesystem. For example, a program might have a string table, an icon, etc, letting the resource data be modified without altering the application. Nothing mindblowing about it, aside from the inability of other filesystems to handle them without a rig. The rig that Apple chose for OSX was to create visible files on the filesystem, much like WIndows does with its desktop files. Like Windows, the OS does its best to keep those files hidden, but your application has to ignore the files manually

Perhaps it would be a better idea to add an option to ignore 0 byte files (above it looks like the files show up as 0 bytes)? They seem like problems anyway, considering they'll all have the same TTH...

btx
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login